Serina biscuits - Serinakakut

Vase by Muurla
Serina biscuits are great. (Serina = Serina is a woman's name, kakut=cakes)  The demerara sugar gives it a bit more deeper taste and those little almond pieces on the top really crown the whole beauty.

My husband's grandmother liked these a lot. And today when I baked these one of the children said that these are awfully good and I have to keep baking these more often. So I guess I will bake these more often then!

I found the Serina biscuit recipe from my grandmother's old cookbook. It was printed in a time when cookbooks had hardly any pictures. For some reason the lack of pictures does not matter when you read a really old cookbook but modern cookbooks seem somehow less interesting if they have very little photos. When baking and cooking photos are essential. It's nice to know how things are supposed to look like. At least I like to know. But in the end it's the recipe that really counts.

I am simply love old cookbooks. I have found a few from a antiquarian bookshop and a few I have found as a new editions. Those are great too but I do prefer the ones I can find from a antiquarian bookshops. They feel nicer, they have stories to tell and it's nice to give an old book a new home. Books are like good friends - they listen to you when you need an ear and they never abandon you - and in real good occasions they even give you a priceless advice.

Makes about 45 biscuits:

100g (3.527 oz) demerara sugar
200g (7.055 oz)  butter
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla sugar
225-250 grams (7.937 - 8.818 oz) all purpose flour
-----
egg
nib sugar
crushed almonds


1. Mix the butter and sugar into a foam.
2. Add the egg and mix well
3. Mix the dry ingredients and add them to the dough.
4. Take small pieces of the dough and shape them in to balls and put on the papered baking tray.
5. Brush with egg and sprinkle with chopped almonds and  nib sugar.
6. Bake them in the center of the oven appr. 10 minutes in 200°C (400°F).

And like always remember to enjoy!