Sourdough bread

Sourdough bread is heavenly. Compared to store bought plastic bag bread it is totally something else. Once you have tasted the sourdough bread you simply can't go back to eating those tasteless plastic monsters. So, consider yourself warned. Once you step onto the road of sourdough baking there is no turning back.

When you have your own little starter ready you can start baking. It well worth the effort!

I used the 1 2 3 method from Flo Makanai. And it works great. It is wonderful basic recipe and at least for me it works every time! This method means the following: Number 1 is for starter. I used 300 grams of it. The number 2 means the water. So I multiply 300 by 2 and get 600 grams which is the amount of water needed. The number 3 is for flour so I multiply that 300 by 3 and get 900 grams. Must say though that in most cases I need to add 1 kg of flour but flours are different in each country so you still need to "feel" the dough. But that's what my grandmother used to do too! Experience was the key ingredient! And don't forget the salt. Use the amount you feel is good - bread needs salt to became a bread but everyone has a different taste so add according to yours. I added about 3 teaspoons salt. And a little honey and olive oil and 4 teaspoons or oregano. I love oregano bread!

So my recipe looked like this: (and it's quite large loaf)

300 grams (0.661 lb) sourdough starter (I have starter with rye flour)
600 grams (1.323 lb ) lukewarm water
900-1000 g (1.984 - 2.205 lb) all purpose flour
3 tsp salt
4-6 tsp dried oregano
3 tbsp honey
some olive oil ( I never measure this)

I make the dough, knead for a while, letting it rest for about 30 minutes and then knead some more to get that viscosity. Once the dough feels right I make the bread and tuck it in to sleep on a papered baking tray for about 6 hours. Sometimes I keep it over night. Bake in the 200 °C (400°F)for about an hour or so.

The bread in the photo leavened about 4-5 hours which is a little short time but I was in a hurry and needed to get it done. I usually keep it about 6 hours or so. But in a family with small children it's not always an option. Things happen and even the sourdough bread needs to adjust a little.  But with a little shorter time it came out wonderfully! And the taste is so awesome! You guys really need to try it if you already haven't! Sourdough bread is what makes the world go round.